Wednesday, November 24, 2004

second chance


I don’t know if you guys noticed, but we’re (she was seated with us again during the p.m. classes) kinda okay. We went to Teriyaki Boy for lunch, because we wanted to talk somewhere distant from the school to avoid being talked about by other people when they see us with her. I ate Gyu-Yakiniku Don instead of the usual Tendon because I wanted to try the other items on the menu. It was rice with sliced beef with Teriyaki sauce and egg on top. I wish I just stuck with the usual. The beef was good, but the sauce mixed with the rice was too nakakasuya.

Enough with the food, I thought we were going to talk. But we didn’t, and I guess we were all sorta content with the situation of not having to talk about the topic that would surely bring up tension between us. I was surprised when she started handing out little yellow notes with a golden key attached to it. I was trying to look away, and I was half-expecting that she would also give me one. The other half I was expecting her not to give me one, because the story between the two of us was a little different and a lot complicated.

I received one.

When we came back to school, I went inside one of the cubicles in the CR and read it. I cried. Well, not really the cry I’ve done a lot during those times that we had the fight, but still, I cried. She mentioned about those things that we used to do when we were still together in one condo and sharing the same room: the conversations with Tata, the DVDs, window shopping, ghost hunting, the weekly groceries, and our Bulacan adventure when she went to Bulacan for my sister’s 18th birthday.

I was just teary-eyed when I read those. What made me cry was when I read this:

I’m sorry for everything.

All those words I said, about not being able to forgive her, about our friendship being forever broken… all those went away when I read that sorry.

Before today, I was really, really decided on being happy with the current situation. I was content with us being civil towards each other. I didn’t want to talk to her anymore, honestly, because I was sure all the anger and the pain we both felt before would surface. Even the thought of forgiving her was too much for me, after everything that happened.

But when she handed me a note with Sorry on it, that changed. She apologized to me, and I know it’s sincere, because though we haven’t talked, and cleared things up (which means there’s still the possibility that she believes I have done something wrong to her), she apologized to me.

I’m going to write her a letter after I post this entry.

Looks like this friendship has a chance after all…

Wow. Great feeling, I tell you.

No comments: