Thursday, October 28, 2004

A Special Request

This morning I got to talk to my Tita Ninia, the wife of my Tito Rey, who I’ve told about in a recent entry- my uncle with liver cancer. I avoided talking to my Tito Rey though he was also there with my Tita, just because I didn’t know what to tell him, what to say to him, how to make him feel better, knowing his present condition. Stupid huh?

So then my Tita Ninia told me that aside from his husband battling cancer, her father is also now in the hospital because he got a stroke about 4 days ago. His condition is so bad now, that she told me her other relatives are “naghihintay nalang” for that time. So I immediately sent my tatay a text message about Tata Itoy’s condition (my Tita Ninia’s father), and suggested that he visit him in the hospital before he comes home.

Oh dear. I can’t imagine what my Tita Ninia now is going through. First, her husband- my Tito Rey. And now, her father. When I lost my mother to cancer, there was no way I could describe how difficult and painful it was for me and for my sister to lose a mother, and for my tatay to lose a wife. But my Tita Ninia, both her husband and her father are dying.

This afternoon we went to the Bulacan Provincial Hospital to visit Tata Itoy.

So when we arrived there, we didn’t know what room he was in. All we knew was that he was in the Provincial Hospital. We only knew his last name, which we asked from the Information area, but we had to look for him by ourselves because there were a lot of patients with the same last name as Tata Itoy’s. We searched for the wards but we were unsuccessful, and as my tatay was inquiring at the Nurses’ Station, I happened to be standing outside the ICU. I took a peek, and saw a man lying in the nearest bed, with a lot of tubes connected to his body- 3 bags of dextrose (I don’t know if they were all dextrose), a naso-gastric tube, and one for his oxygen support. The man’s condition was pitiable, and after a few seconds, I finally realized that the man I was looking at was Tata Itoy himself.

A few minutes later, Inang Yola- Tata Itoy’s wife- arrived. When my tatay asked her what had happened to Tata Itoy, she burst out crying. God, when she started crying, my eyes also welled up with tears. I tried hard to control myself from crying. Yeah, I barely know Tata Itoy, but seeing someone crying because of a loved-one suffering was enough to move me to tears. I know how it feels. I know how difficult it is to see someone you love suffer, and yet you can’t do anything to help him/her.

After a few minutes, Inang Yola calmed down and she was able to tell us more clearly about Tata Itoy’s condition. His CT scan result showed a ruptured artery at the back of his head (don’t know my Neuroanatomy anymore). Also, he has GI bleeding, and other complications. While my Tatay and Inang Yola were talking, I watched Tata Itoy through the glass door of the ICU. There was one moment when he was coughing, and I could see that it hurts him when he coughs. His right hand reached up for his nasogastric tube, as if he wanted it removed, only his daughter who was beside him stopped him from doing so. I don’t know, but when I saw that action, I thought maybe he wants his suffering to end.

The doctors told Inang Yola that Tata Itoy’s prognosis is bad. Inang Yola said that she has readied herself for the worst that may happen. Although the doctors have given up on her husband, they still decided for him to stay at the hospital. They want his suffering to end too, but they can’t take him home and also give up on him because it would be like they let him die. They’re still hoping.

Because when a loved-one is fighting for his life, you join him and fight for him too until the end, right?

Everyone who gets to finish reading this entry, please help me pray for all my ill relatives, as well as for my Tita Ninia. She is trying to be strong, because that’s the best thing that she can do right now, but I know this is very difficult for her to go through. Her family is planning to come home to the Philippines this November, but they’re still working on it. You know how it is in the United States- lots of things to settle before you can leave. Plus, tickets aren’t cheap, so there’s also the problem of money. But she told me lots of their friends there are helping out, and I really wish they could come home soon, as her mother also wishes, so she and her father can see each other before it’s too late.

Please, help us pray for them. Thank you.

No comments: