Sunday, April 10, 2005

tulista


joan and mitzi's sis ate sallyToday, Mitzi, Dimple, Avie, Joan (together with Jojo) and I joined the members of the Rotary Club of Plaridel in their “Libreng Tule” program. Mitzi’s father, who’s a doctor, is a member of the club, and last year Mitzi told me about the Libreng Tule where her dad brought her with him so she could watch and assisst a little. So she asked me if I wanted to join the next time, and I said yes because it would be a good learning experience. I haven’t attended any med missions yet, so this was my first time, and I’d say I was pretty excited.

When we arrived, there were already kids in the process of being circumcised. At first we were just watching, observing how the whole thing was done, and at the same time amusing ourselves watching all those boys trying to look cool, but you can see that they’re scared. And then we were distributed by pair to first assist in applying betadine around the area, handing out syringes and anesthesia, and gauzes.


After the first batch of boys were finished, then came the boys who cried like there was no tomorrow. There was even one point when it seemed like all the boys were crying at the same time. Haha. It was rather amusing.

mga tulistaWe all had the chance to do the cutting, suturing and knot-tying part. I was lucky, because the boy I had to circumsize wasn’t a scaredy cat, and he was only 9, while his brother who was older than him backed out upon hearing the other boys crying. However, I didn’t dare do the injection of the anesthesia, which by the way, Mitzi has mastered at the end of the program. It was also a good thing that the boy’s penis didn’t bleed that much after I cut the skin, unlike those most boys'. So there, I went to see if I’d be able to do correctly those things taught in Surgery Clinics. Man, my hands are not pasmado, but when I was trying to reach the end of the thread with the forceps during the knot-tying, my hands were shaking. All of our hands were shaking during our turns, except for Avie. Haha. Good thing we didn’t do anything catastrophic to the boys’ penises, and we were pretty much able to do it correctly.

It was fun. Like what Mitzi’s Dad told me, “Iba yung tinuturo sa school, iba pag ginagawa mo na.” We’re planning to join again next year.

happy tree friendsSo after that, we stayed at Mitzi’s house, chatting and laughing, taking pictures, and watching Mitzi’s Lhasa Apso pup Princess, who was under the influence of Ecstasy. Hehe!

me and dizzyI also drove Dimple home, and I had the chance to see the shih-tzu pups! They were so cuuuuuttteee!!! I got to choose my pup too. Really really cuuuute! Can’t wait till I take her home with me! I'm gonna name her Dizzy. Because when we were watching the pups, my pup hit her head on a plank and then she fell on her back. Hehe. It looked really cute. They looked like a bunch of bouncing furballs.

So, it was a good day. :) About the circumcision, Joan told me that Dr. Yolo was right. “The bigger, the better”. Hehe. Pwede ring “The bigger, the funnier”. ;)


1 comment:

No Kang-ho said...

An abusive and disgusting ritual and bereft of any medical benefits. Tuli is not circumcision and looks comical to anyone but pinoys. The sliced skin dangles like a useless chunk like a turkey's wattle. Circumicion does not prevent HIV or STI and such claims are based on flawed research. The British Medical Journal and Lancet refuted the spurious claims of circumcision in 2002 and 2009. In the USA over 100 baby boys die every year from routine circumcision and it is often masked by death certificates which do not state circumcision was being performed. Further, circumcised penises are often badly scarred, too much skin removed, uneven cutting, skin bridges, wonky scars etc, etc. In Europe, circumcision is not cool and boys circumcised are often the butt of jokes. Further, pinoy circumcision looks very unhygenic. Do you practice universal blood procedures - they certainly don't when they do it the tuli way. Where is your patient respect? Where is the privacy? Where is the hygenic practices? Why are your blood letting rituals made public? Seriously bad medical ethics - which is why many pinoy medical staff cannot practice in the likes of the UK.